The information below is about something so important, so innovative, so potentially life-changing, that I just have to share it with you!
The Ellen G. White Estate has embarked on its largest project ever. Our goal is to make available on the Internet every known translation of an Ellen White book! Beyond this, we plan to aggressively pursue translating Ellen White books into other languages that have none as yet. With world conditions as they are, this must happen now!
Exciting? I thought you would agree that this is a project that is long overdue. For years those who relentlessly attack Ellen White and the Seventh-day Adventist Church have used the Internet to do so. It's way past time for us to recapture the power of the Internet for the Lord!
The White Estate's new state-of-the art Web site currently under development will also contain many other resource materials about the prophetic ministry of Ellen White and the early history of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. These materials will be added as quickly as funds are available for scanning and digitizing them. Equally important, we plan to translate many of these resources into languages other than English, to provide background information and answers to questions for Internet users worldwide.
To learn more about this and other exciting White Estate projects, please see our Partners brochure: www.whiteestate.org/partnerbrochure.pdf. After prayerfully reading it, if you want more information, feel free to call the White Estate at 301-680-6557.
You can invest in the future of our church by becoming a partner with the White Estate in this cutting edge project, or in any of the other projects mentioned on the donation card found at: www.whiteestate.org/donationcard.pdf. If there is a particular language or book title that you would specifically like to sponsor, please let us know.
To make a tax deductible donation to the White Estate's global internet project, please choose one of the following three convenient methods:
1. Mail your donation check made payable to the Ellen G. White Estate, Inc. In the memo line indicate: Internet Project. Our address is:
Ellen G. White Estate
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600
2. Phone our toll free number, 1-800-WHT-DISC (1-800-948-3472), to speak with a White Estate staff member about a credit card donation.
3. Fax your donation card directly to the White Estate office, 1-301-680-6559.
4. Online http://partner.egwwritings.org
All of us at the White Estate want to thank you for prayerfully considering partnering with us on one of the most important projects ever undertaken by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Yours toward a finished work,
James R. Nix
P.S. Interested in knowing specific details? On the average it costs $1,200 to scan, digitize, and tag each Ellen White book for the Web site project. The process of preparing a book for our Web site is quite involved:
- First, the non-English Ellen White book has to be acquired and an index catalog created.
- If it is not a rare book, it is then cut and scanned. Otherwise the book has to be scanned by hand, a much longer process.
- The electronic copy is then sent for digitization using optical character recognition (OCR). The OCR version is double proofed for accuracy and index tags are added for Title, Chapters, page numbers, Bible references, links to references in other Ellen White books, etc.
- The resulting product is then passed through several macros to check consistency and look for errors, after which it is imported into an SQL database.
The benefits of having all Ellen White books in one database are enormous. As electronic book formats change or new products come to the market, we can create a new export filter to meet these changing needs. The White Estate can now support several common book formats: HTML, XHTML, XML, PDF, RTF, ePub, Mobipocket LBK, Stanza, Folio FFF, etc. These various formats can then be used for the Web, computers, mobile phones, e-readers, printed books, etc. This enables the White Estate to adapt quickly to meet the needs in a wide variety of e-book formats.
By using the highest standards in our digitization project, we are preserving the accuracy of the Ellen G. White books and ensuring that they will be available in multiple formats as technology changes.